Re: Database Discovery Tool?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:44:02 -0600 (CST)

Congrats on the promo!

SQueaL Server's Enterprise Manager (2000) or Management Studio (2005) will
be able to discover most servers for you.  I believe the SS Browser service
has to be active on each server for this to work, but don't quote me on that
-- I'm newish to SQueaL Server.

For Oracle, unless you're using Grid Control and agents are deployed on
every server, you may well be out of luck.  You *may* be able portscan for
every server in your organization (e.g. using "nmap") to determine if a
listener is running.  You could then attempt to tnsping those servers.  YMMV

Just a thought or two.  GL!

Rich