RE: Database Design Best Practice help

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jose.soares@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 04:45:59 -0500

In addition to the logical reasons others have mentioned in the thread,
there is a potentially overwhelming physical reason:

You cannot predict which queries might be needed in the future that might
optimally be a full table scan of any one of the hundred tables; if toss all
the data into a single table you will potentially read all the data instead
of only the relevant data.

Think of it this way: You have boxes of needles of one hundred colors. You
don't want to search for a needle in a stack of needles - it is even worse
than searching for a needle in a haystack.