Re: Database Design Best Practice help

  • From: Toon Koppelaars <toon.koppelaars@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jose.soares@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:13:36 +0100

How is one table, instead of one hundred tables, an advantage?
The many tables probably have one big advantage, in that they allow
FK-constraints from other tables to the appropriate one-of-the-hundred
table to enforce correct codes in the other tables.

You can still have "one controller" to manage all these tables as one big
table.

Just create a union-all view on top of those hundred tables, and write a
couple of instead-of triggers to deal with inserts/updates/deletes. Then
have your "controller" based on top of this view.

--
Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"
www.rulegen.com/am4dp-backcover-text