Database Appliance Best Practices

  • From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 21:55:44 +0000

We're getting two new ODAs, have been reading the docs, and attended an Oracle
ODA workshop last month.  These ODAs will replace six old 64 bit Linux servers
(8 cores each with 32 to 64 GB RAM) and host the 22 databases currently on
those old servers.  All the DBs are 10gR2 except a couple of 11gR2 ones.  They
currently occupy about 7 or 8 TB of total disk - a couple of 3Par SANs.  It's a
mix of Prod, Dev, and Test.  We've got enough Enterprise licenses to light up
10 core per server, will use normal (double) mirroring. and do backups to an
external system.  We're also planning on having the DBs in one VM per server,
with the other VM(s) possibly hosting some App servers processes to use some of
the remaining cores.   We'll do our 10g to 11g DB migrations / upgrades by
creating new empty 11g DBs and using  DataPump expdp / impdp to move the data.
Migration will be a slow, deliberate process taking several weeks or months.

We're interested in anyone's actual experience with ODA and recommendations.
We're planning on pretty much taking the defaults that ODA provides for
everything, with little, if any, customization - at least for the first few DBs.

A search of the Web revealed this presentation, which is very informative:

     http://www.vanoug.org/SuccessfulODA4_view.pdf

Any other papers, docs, presentations, etc. that might be helpful (we've got
all the Oracle docs already)?  Any tips welcome, too.

Thanks.

----
Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student
and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under
the federal Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. ?1232g, 34 CFR
Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, t Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR
1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use,
disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender
immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message,
including attachments.