DataPump Clients Over the Network: Some Complex Scenarios

  • From: Fred Habash <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 11:44:19 -0400

A datapump client needs to know 2 things. Where to put/read the dmp files
and where the source schema is (to import or export from).

The former is determined by specifying a connect identified 'expdp user@db',
whereas the latter is determined by 'network_link'.

It gets a little more complicated if you use both features. For example ...

1) export remote schema and put is on local host: expdp user/pwd
network_link=remote_schema

2) export remote schema and put is on remote host: expdp user/pwd@remotedb
remote_link=remote_schema

There are mind-dizzying  combination of this. There is one scenario I'm
trying to accomplish and I can't. I do not think it is possible.

export remote schema to local host dmp file and import to remote schema
using same local host dmp.

What do you think?

Thank you ...
Fred Habash, Database Solutions Architect (Oracle OCP 8i,9i,10g,11g)