Re: DataGuard failover/switchover questions

  • From: "Jurijs Velikanovs" <j.velikanovs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 00:33:52 +0300

Regarding switchover and client connections I believe it is questions
form Oracle Net / Network configuration area.

It would depend on how your system setup and configuration (used
client versions etc).

If to consider Oracle Net configuration then you might try to

Part A
Define Service in your listener.ora and have Production instance as
you primary instance for your service (clients redirected to your
Production by default).

Part B
If switchover happened then you manually (or by script) reconfigure
your listener to have Standby Instance as your primary for the
Service.

Part C
In order to ensure an availability of the primary listener (in case
Primary site goes down) you could have second listener configured on
Standby server. Clients would have something like
    (FAILOVER=on)
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = primary)(PORT = 1527))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = secondary)(PORT = 1527))
entries in tnsnames.ora files.

Another slightly simpler conf would be to have separate listeners on
both sides serving the same service name. In case of switchover you
just shutdown the listener process on primary mode keeping client's
configuration (Part C). Clients would automatically recognize Primary
site unavailability and connects to secondary site.

This something that came to my mind as first ideas.
Sure others will advice more proper solutions from their experience.

PS IMHO noviceoracledba@xxxxxxxxxxxx - would be more appropriate anyway :)

Jurijs

--
Yury