RE: DataGuard

  • From: "Polarski, Bernard" <Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:37:23 +0100

I am reading this list every day and I must say that the general mood of
most interveners is that RAC, at least low end RAC, have a bad record in
term of HA. Many expressed the opinion that a single instance has a
better HA and this is due to the weakness of complexity of RAC. I will
add that low end RAC, typically 2 nodes have less skilled people working
on it. I assume that 'Yahoo' which runs a 32 nodes RAC has a bunch of
highly skilled RACmen.

But we can only express opinion, since there is no statistics, official
or unofficial on RAC performances versus single instances.

If my boss rush in the room and ask me to swear that RAC is better in
term of HA, I would be annoyed. On one side RAC is supposed to be more
HA but on the other side its complexity gives him bad reputation.

In my current portfolio of DB to manage, I have a newly born RAC, not
stressed at all (sleeping in progress... please wait) and around 100
single instances, up to now I have no problem with the RAC once it is
setup. On Unix, last year, among the 100 db, I had to shutdown 2 of them
due to excessive ORA-4031 and we had 2 box crash - I give free all
windows box reboot due to ORA-4030, but we are speaking of real server,
isn't it Nial? That's all for the unexpected events to mark for 2006 for
100 db. I have already posted on this list a DB 8.0.6, single not OPS,
which is up since 2002 on Solaris box and still running fine.

So If I had to responds on the spot to my boss request, based on past
tracks, I would say, not worth the money and the troubles. One could
argue that the 4 failures we encountered would have been avoided with a
RAC. True, but unknown in this count is how much RAC crash due to
clusterware, cache fusion specifics, interconnect specific?

In fact, I am implementing RAC but I am not convinced that service will
be better. Boss read Oracle propaganda, boss pay me, RAC is good in my
contractor CV, so let's do it. Will it be better.... no idea.

Bernard Polarski
Oracle DBA