Re: Data vs. Information

  • From: Michael Moore <michaeljmoore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chet.justice@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 19:47:07 -0700

Information is that which informs. It could be data, or it might not be. The
fact that the button in the upper left corner of my window is red (mac)
'informs' me that this is the button to push in order to close the window.
Something that informs me, might not inform you at all. So, in order for
something to be information, there must be an observer. Two observers of the
same data might both derive different information. Data are symbols which
have the 'potential' to inform.
Mike