Re: Data Transfer vs IOPS

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:49:40 -0700

As a metric for comparisons, IOPS are useless without I/O request size (or "block size").

For example, comparing 20000 IOPS for one disk means nothing in comparison to 10000 IOPS on another disk, unless you know the I/O request sizes used.

In contrast, throughput (a.k.a. data transfer rate) is a comparative metric by itself, which is probably why Dell uses it.

On 6/21/2022 12:55 PM, Ram Raman wrote:

We are looking into adding some new disks to our server with server attached storage. One of the solutions we are considering is this <https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/768tb-ssd-vsas-read-intensive-sed-512e-25in-hot-plug/apd/345-bcdn/storage-drives-media#techspecs_section>. The page talks about Data Transfer rate but I am interested in the IOPS, we have the IOPS info for the older disks. Does anyone know how to get the IOPS (read, write, .. any) for those disks

Thanks,
Ram