RE: Data Pump and compress on the fly in Unix

  • From: "Leng Kaing" <Leng.Kaing@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mladen Gogala" <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:25:59 +1100

My biggest disappointment with data pump at the moment is this fact - I
can't continue to compress on the fly like I did with exports. I have an
issue at the moment where floating data types are not support with
export and have been told to use data pump.

For all the goodies that data pump is supposed to provide, you would
think that it compresses more than the metadata. What about the rest of
the data? I know disks are supposed to be cheap now but we all know how
hard it is to get the company to pay for it. I would gladly convert to
data pump if I can compress on the fly too.

Imagine presenting this to management: I need more disk to use data pump
because it does not allow compress on the fly. And the reason I need to
use data pump is because exp doesn't support a data type that is
currently used by Oracle BAM.

Management will say: they are both Oracle's product - BAM either has to
change data type, or data pump has to compress and use the same space as
before.

I've logged an SR with Oracle and the analyst tells me that the unix
"compress" command is not recommended in the first place. I should not
be compressing export dumps either from exp or data pump. What the heck
is going on here? I've never heard of this one before. I've been using
it for years without problems. There are even metalink notes to guide us
through that. I've said the very same thing to him and he's now working
on his response.

ARGH!!

Leng Kaing

Senior Oracle DBA

Hansen Technologies; 2 Frederick St; Doncaster 3108

Ph: +61-3-9840-3832