RE: Data Modeling Question

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:22:53 -0500

Unless your application normally only needs to retrieve a single
attribute for an item_code per transaction just add a second attribute
table to you application to handle attributes 1001+

Doing this will almost certainly result in better query performance than
using a parameter/value attribute table.  I say this because we have a
vendor provided statistical process system build on just such a scheme.
Inserts are great but query performance is not so great.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148