Re: Data Migration options - oracle to oracle

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Karth Panchan <keyantech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:38:00 +0100

Hi Karth,

On 06/09/13 05:13, Karth Panchan wrote:

> Here is little more background information.

Another project I was involved in required that the source database be
left untouched, but the target needed to be up to date. There was an air
gap between, so shipping archived logs etc was out of the question.

After looking at the data, we discovered that a sequence was used as a
surrogate PK in most of the tables, so we took an exp of the database at
a particular sequence value - noted for all tables involved - and built
the new database with that exp dump file.

When it came the go live weekend, we did a pile of exp with a query
limiting the data to only that after the previously noted sequence
values for the PKs, copied those over - by courier - to the new data
centre and imported (appended) the data to the existing database. Worked
a treat!

 > We plan to migrate 100 customers per month, but we get only 24hours
 > to migrate those 100 customers.

What happens afterwards? Do those customers no longer have access to the
source database?

Partitioning is, I seem to remember, an added cost license! Like
anything remotely useful! :-(

However, I'm not aware of any "maintenance nightmares" of exchange
partition. Granted I don;t think it's as simple as the manuals would
have you believe - especially if you have foreign keys etc. I might be
wrong, I've only ever "played" with it myself as a potential problem
solver for an application I worked with way back. (Oracle 8i) -
management decided not to go ahead with it.

Problem is, if yo are partitioning the table, it's going to affect the
current users plus you'll probably need to partition your indexes to
suit and that will entail a recreate as opposed to a rebuild - that
might affect current users.

Sorry I'm probably not helping!

Cheers,
Norm.