Re: Data Masking Pack

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kennaim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:26:09 +0000

I cannot answer your question directly. I can suggest the problem space for
something like the data masking pack is somewhat more complex than you might
expect. In particular your solution should:

1) deal with referential integrity
2) deal with the lack of database referential integrity
3) deal (I think) with subsetting - that is picking a consistent subset of
records given condition 1 or condition 2
4) deal with arbitrary degrees of encryption/masking.

In other words if I'm *buying* something that does data masking I want it to

a) work with my application whoever coded it
b) be configurable as to what I mask and how
c) be somewhat version independent.

if I'm commissioning someone to code something for a specific project I can
probably give rather more detailed and defined constraints on what they
produce.

I'm not suggesting that the pack is good, just the problems that whoever
wrote it might have had. including all the stuff I haven't thought of but
customers have.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA