Re: Data Masking

  • From: "Paul M. Wright" <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:30:53 +0100

Yes, EM has it as an option
www.oracle.com/technology/products/oem/pdf/ds_datamasking.pdf

..but these are definitely worth looking at as well..

Datamasker at http://www.datamasker.com/
Camouflage at http://www.datamasking.com/

As a side note, I do think that our industry in general needs to be more
precise about
what we mean by the word "datamasking" though i.e. do we mean "data-covering"
e.g. through
a view OR do we mean "data-sanitising" the actual original data itself, OR
"obfuscating" a
copy of the data, OR generally "editing" the data as in redaction.

Of special interest IMO are data sets that are created independently of the
production
data e.g. a table of new credit card numbers which have been generated
completely
independently of the original data using the Luhn Formula as described for the
layman at
this URL.

http://www.moneybluebook.com/how-to-create-and-generate-valid-credit-card-numbers/

These newly generated CC numbers can (nearly) be guaranteed never to be
production CC numbers.

Regards,
Paul
~http://issdconference.com/