Data Guard

  • From: P D <pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:47:50 -0500

I have a Data Guard Logical configuration.   When I shutdown the standby
database, I receive alerts from the PRIMARY "ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in
progress - no operations are permitted".     Before shutting down the standby,
I already altered database to stop logical apply and also altered the primary
to defer.   Even though I get the immediate shutdown in progress error in the
primary, it is still up and I can run some queries like select * from
v$instance;      Why is it saying immediate shutdown in progress?

Also, I have some trouble running a cold backup on the primary because when it
tries to start and reopen the database afterward, it says database already open.