Re: Dan Tow "SQL Tuning" and Visual SQL Tuning

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 20:20:45 -0500

Hi Kyle,

I read the book. It's an excellent book, but when you actually try to follow the tree, it's a lot of work. I prefer using the Force, which means to rely on my understanding of the data, wait events, explain plan and my gut feeling.  Fortunately, I am no longer a DBA, which means that I no longer have a database to support in sickness and in health, till my death takes us apart. In other words, I rarely do SQL tuning these days. However, if I had to do it, I would still use the method R proposed by Carry Millsap and based on the events and trace.  During my not so short tenure as a DBA, I noticed that the most of the performance problems stem from an inadequate data model. However, developers usually hate it when you formulate it like that.  There are many war stories I could tell, probably like many other DBA folks on this list. All things considered the best way to tune the SQL is to have it tuned by the others.  I call that a Wally method. It's scientifically proven to be the best.

Regards

On 11/26/2018 2:23 PM, kyle Hailey wrote:

Does anyone follow Dan Tow's methods from "SQL Tuning" and/or use Visual SQL Tuning in DB Optimizer?
Dan's method is super insightful but it's a lot of work That's why I had the DB Optimizer group at Embarcadero invest so much time into automating Dan's method with "Visual SQL Tuning" so it would do much of the hard work for the user.
If any one is interested, it looks like the black Friday sale on DB Optimizer for 50% off is still available today:

    DB Optimizer for Oracle available today (black Friday) at 50% off
    for $357 with discount code QUACKFRIDAY50
    https://www.idera.com/buynow/onlinestore

I just bought myself to have a copy just in case I need it. Not doing much SQL tuning these days, but it's cool to have when needed.
VST is the unique feature to DB Optimizer bit it also does it's own ASH sampling and works optionally on SQL Server, Sybase and DB2

--
Mladen Gogala Database Consultant Tel: (347) 321-1217