Re: DROP USER - cannot drop a user that is currently connected

  • From: "Giovanni Cuccu" <giovanni.cuccu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:27:10 +0200

Hi  Mathias,
     Oracle bugs apart, if there are no user sessions connected you
can drop the oracle user.
Your post refers to an opencms user. My guess is that you are using a
cms product based on a java application server. It's very likely that
this product is using a connection pool to connecto to the db, and
it's also likely that the pool is "clever" and periodically checks for
bad connection (i.e. dead ones) and  if finds one it recreates it.
Try to stop the application server (tomcat?) or the single web
application and try to re-execute the drop command, it should work.
Hope it helps,
    Giovanni

On 4/21/06, Mathias Diehl <md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> may I ask again for your support.
>
> I try to run automatic installer but fail with the message but can't drop the
> user:
>

> drop user OPENCMS cascade;
>
> -->"cannot drop a user that is currently connected"
>
> Now I googled and found:
>
> select username, sid, serial# from v$session where lower(username)='OPENCMS';
>
> What brought:
>
> USERNAME                              SID    SERIAL#
> ------------------------------ ---------- ----------
> OPENCMS                               143        148
> OPENCMS                               144        623
> OPENCMS                               145         19
> OPENCMS                               147        378
> OPENCMS                               148        609
> OPENCMS                               158        764
>

> alter system kill session '143, 148';
>
> seem's to have no effect as the error persists.... any idea how to solve that
> issue?
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> Mat
> --