Re: DNS and SQL*Net Issue

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mkb125@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:41:54 -0800

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM, mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
>  Anyway, cut a long story short, the way I installed and configured the
> system was without an entry in the resolv.conf as per my install
> instructions which worked fine.  The way the SA did the re-install was with
> a valid DNS entry in resolv.conf which wound up affecting performance.  I've
> never seen this behavior.

If you haven't already, you may want to consider this doc:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28196_01/idmanage.1014/b15991/server.htm#i1053850

We found that while dynamic discovery worked well in the lab, when
first tried in production it was very slow.  This may lead to timeouts.

The problem was found to be that a nanosleep call from from 1-5 seconds
was being inserted into every call.  This is caused by Oracle receiving an
error from DNS.

The cause of the error was that DNS was look for an LDAPS record in addition
to the LDAP record.  Create the LDAPS record fixed the problem.

HTH

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com