RE: DML on dual?

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx>, <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:20:33 -0400

I have not seen this situation, but I have a thought on it. At one site, a
client had all their sequences with a cache size 0 to "enforce" a nogap
policy which obviously didn't work instead it caused a sql loader job to run
extremly slow. After tracing the session I saw a ton of recursive sql on the
internal sequnence tables which is a serial operation (to prevent duplicate
sequence values) using locks.

While the sql loader job does not, afaik, select from dual the lock might be
caused by underlying sequence refreshing its values too often.

Ken