DML on dual?

  • From: "Herring Dave - dherri" <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:41:39 -0500

Folks,

I've got an odd problem on our production database where it seems physical
writes and row lock waits are happening on SYS.DUAL.  These are not causing any
major performance problems, but it concerns me that some sort of DML (I'm
assuming) is being performed against SYS.DUAL, which in my mind should never
happen.

I came to the conclusion about DML against SYS.DUAL based on data from
STATS$SEG_STAT for that segment, where I see physical writes and row lock
waits, at most 100 or so per day.

I've set auditing on for INSERT, UPDATE, LOCK, DELETE on SYS.DUAL, but nothing
has shown up.  I've search V$SQL for any SQL statement referencing
DUAL/SYS.DUAL but have found nothing beyond SELECT statements.

Anyone else see this behavior and/or have any clues on how to track what's
causing this activity?

Database is 9.2.0.6, on Tru64 5.1b, 10 x 40GB GS1280 server.

Thanks.

Dave
David C. Herring, DBA  |   A c x i o m  Delivery Center Organization
630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax
privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.

of it from your computer system.

Thank You.