RE: DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO and Business Objects Data Integrator

  • From: "Larry G. Elkins" <elkinsl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <k.sriramkumar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 07:20:57 -0500

Thanks for the response. And yes, we could set module, action, etc that way,
but with a single id used for all ETL processes, then
all would be labeled the same. The idea is to set specific values for module /
action so data can be gathered by functional area,
specific process, etc, and to also enable the ability to do targeted tracing
via DBMS_MONTIOR. So it's really up to each process to
identify itself and action.

There are pre and post target events, that based on my understanding, could
make calls to set these, but in one of the forums the
product manager recommended against it. Didn't give a reason. For tracing, our
only choice is to trace all the sessions for that ID
and find the one of interest. And of course viewing resource usage in terms of
module, action, etc, like what you see in GRID with
well "identified" apps or what you can generate yourself, is unavailable.

DI folks can report total time in these terms from the *tool* side, but it
doesn't, of course, show how much was actual DB activity.
Case in point, 2 hour process, complain about the DB, tracing shows most time
on SQL*Net message from client, and log file sync
(from committing after every single one of the single row actions). Very little
time spent doing "real" work in the DB.

Larry G. Elkins

elkinsl@xxxxxxxxx

Home: 214.954.1781