DBLINK from Oracle to SQLserver

  • From: "Storey, Robert (DCSO)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 15:01:32 +0000

Morning folks.
This shouldn't be difficult, but as usual, it is.  Creating a link between an
Oracle DB and a Sql server DB.

1) I setup the System DSN and tested it.  Works
2) Modified the TNSNAMES.ORA file - check
3) Modified the Listener file and reloaded - check
4) TNSping of the TNSnames entry successful  - check
5) Created the inithsodbc.ora file  - check
6) created a dblink putting the username/password in "" and the odbc service in
' '  - check
7) link created successfully  - check
8) select * from table@linkname   -ERROR
Got the error back
ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this message:
[Generic Connectivity Using ODBC][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
Server]Cannot open database "test" requested by the login. The login failed.
(SQL State: 37000; SQL Code: 4060)
ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from BOBLINK

Dropped the link and recreated it using just a junk username and password.  Got
the same error.  Metalink has gone to sleep on me.

I'm missing something simple here but not sure what it is.  Do I have to use a
username with DBA privs on the sql server?

Thanks
Bob