Re: DBCA error while creating a 2nd database on RAC cluster

  • From: "Rajeev Prabhakar" <rprabha01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ravigaur1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:49:47 -0400

Hello Ravi

Did you try the debug mode to get more details. I have pasted the relevant
portion from the 10g manual.

-----
*Enabling Tracing for Java-Based Tools and Utilities in Real Application
Clusters* All of the Java-based tools and utilities available in RAC are
invoked by executing scripts of the same name as the tool or utility. This
includes the Database Configuration Assistant (DBCA), the Net Configuration
Assistant (NetCA), the Virtual Internet Protocol Configuration Assistant
(VIPCA), Service Control (SRVCTL), and the Global Services Daemon (GSD). For
example to run the DBCA, enter the command dbca.

To enable additional debugging information, edit the command file (such as
dbca in this example) and add the following parameters to the
$JRE_DIR/bin/jre command line:

-DTRACING.ENABLED=true -DTRACING.LEVEL=2

For example, the file $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbca contains the line:

$JRE_DIR/bin/jre -DORACLE_HOME=$OH -DJDBC_PROTOCOL=thin -mx64
-classpath $CLASSPATH oracle.sysman.dbca.Dbca $ARGUMENTS

Change this line to:

$JRE_DIR/bin/jre -DORACLE_HOME=$OH -DTRACING.ENABLED=true
-DTRACING.LEVEL=2 -DJDBC_PROTOCOL=thin -mx64 -classpath $CLASSPATH
oracle.sysman.dbca.Dbca $ARGUMENTS

When you run the DBCA, trace information will record in the DBCA log file.
-----
Rajeev

On 7/23/07, Ravi Gaur <ravigaur1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

We've a 2-node RAC cluster with a database up and running using ASM and
we're trying to add another database to the cluster via DBCA. It shows up a
popup with the following message at the "storage options" screen in dbca --

DBCA could not start ASM instance configured on this node. To proceed with
database creation using ASM you need the ASM instance to be up and running.
Do you want to recreate the ASM instance on this node?

The OS is Linux4 and the database is 10.2.0.3. ASM is seen OK from sqlplus
and EM finds it healthy. I've an SR open with Oracle but I suspect it will
take longer to diagnose the issue and thought if anyone had any tips etc to
check. We're not getting any hits on Google and/or metalink.

TIA,

- Ravi Gaur
Lead Systems DBA
Univ of IL.