RE: DBA pay in university

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dubovecky, Jeff" <jpd40@xxxxxxxx>, <dackoc@xxxxxxxxx>, <jpiwowar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:44:37 -0400

Well, I'll tell you what I found during my interview, name of the
institution intentionally left out.

   1- Nice small institution (somewhere between 10K and 20K  students).
   2- Nice location, straight up NH route 113 from my home (that can be
really enjoyable in the fall and spring, bit of a problem in the winter
but that's what a 4X4 is for)
   3- Salary along the lines for NH ( about 1/3 rd of my current at the
time)
   4- Benefits similar to industry (health and dental, 2 weeks vacation
to start, long term disability, 401K match similar to industry, no
pension, etc.....)
   5- reduced tuition for self and direct family members (something like
25%)
   6- Single DBA for the entire institution, required to handle Oracle,
DB2, and Sql*Server (Production, development, testing, and student play
areas)
   7- Did your own OS maintenance as well, mostly Windoze.
   8- 24x7 support with pager and VPN
   9- Expected to assist staff and students with DB problems, questions,
etc.....

Now you tell me if I made the right choice or not.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA