Re: DBA pay in university

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:31:11 -0700

FYI,  Stanford will pay up to 50% of its tuition costs for qualifying family
members.   The student need not go to Stanford.   If another school is chosen
with tuition costs of 50% or less, Stanford will pay it all.  This is for
undergraduate studies.  It does not include books or boarding.  It is a tax
free benefit.  The  university pays the other directly.

I won't be able to take advantage as my daughter has severe special needs,
However, the freedom I have in being at the University allows me to help my
wife better take care of her.

On Oct 27, 2010, at 7:43 AM, John Piwowar wrote:

What you can probably expect is that university salaries will trend below
industry salaries.  Offsetting factors can include:

1) Slightly more relaxed environment, though of course this can vary.

2) Tuition benefits. Staff can sometimes receive deep discounts on tuition,
even for immediate family members. At the right time of your life, that's not
small money.  One of my colleagues was in a position well below his industry
pay grade and experience level. I'm *sure* he was there because he loved the
culture and was stimulated by the work, and that the close proximity of his
resignation to his daughter's graduation date was pure coincidence. ;-)

3) When I was working in a university environment, the percentage of matching
contributions to retirement accounts was far higher than anything I've
encountered since in industry. Of course, a higher percentage of a
lower-than-industry base salary might not be as high impact as it initially
appears.

Don't take too much from my single data point, though.  It's been quite a while
since was in IT in a university, and lots of things about compensation have
probably changed, probably not for the better in today's economy.  I guess the
main message is, as with evaluating any position, it's not all about the salary.

Regards,

John P.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Christopher Boyle
<cboyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cboyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Again, it depends.  I worked in a publicly funded University ages ago and the
salaries were very low (and available to anyone since they had to make the
budget available to the public.)  Private universities might pay more but every
one I have dealt with treated their IT department as a cost center and wanted
Tom Kyte skills for Joe Schmoe wages.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Goulet, Richard
<Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
That definitely falls into the "it depends" category.  Depends on how big the
university is, how big their endowment is, how much experience you have, if
you've worked in a university environment before, how much they value their it
department, and how much their willing to pay.  Interviewed for a job at a
university some years ago, wasn't impressed.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA