Re: DBA Skill tree

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 13:31:02 +1000

Stefan Knecht wrote,on my timestamp of 4/04/2009 12:42 AM:
I don't agree. After being an instructor for oracle courses for the past 3 years, I can say very confidently that the years of experience count for nothing when it comes down to really knowing how oracle works.

Funny. I can say exactly the opposite.
But then again, I've been a dba for a LOT longer than 3 years.

There's people that "use" oracle and there's people that use oracle. How long you do it doesn't really mean much. Its all about how curious you are, and how much effort you put into it.

That, I agree.
Having said that, I'll also mention that anyone who has been a dba for 10 or more years PROBABLY has a little bit more commitment to the job and the type of work than a newb freshly painted with a "certification"?

Might be just me, but someone who shows a track record in a given profession is at the very least showing a willingness to stick to the job and learn about it.

Of course: some might classify a long time dba as someone who has become stale? I've got news for those: it *is* a stale job. How many different "innovative" ways can one manage space allocation?

Yeah sure: nowadays you might look at a nice flash graphic - that essentially shows you nothing above the basic numbers. A dba trained in more traditional fashion might actually have looked at said numbers and tried to make some sense of them over time. Like: detect trends, capacity plan, find abnormal patterns of growth, etc. Something you simply cannot do looking at graphics.

Especially nowadays, you can be a full-time full-GUI DBA using nothing but enterprise manager (I'm not saying this is good, mind you) -- but you see it more and more. And I honestly believe someone that works like this for 3 or 4 years has a far less good knowledge about oracle than someone taking it apart for 6 months, doing so passionately.

Don't expect anyone with little experience to do it anytime
soon, though.

And there is a LOT more about the dba job than simply "taking Oracle apart".

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto