Re: DBA Skill tree

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:41:55 -0500

Just to put a different spin on this; when I originally posted, I was not
thinking about interviews and hiring questions at all. More, rather, on how
does one know what one needs to stay competent (proficient, experienced, etc
*grin*)? I used the model of a skill tree because I like pictures, and some
sort of a dependency graph conveys to me better than words alone. I am much
more concerned about ongoing training than getting your foot in the door.
Sure, any type of "certification" or governing body that declares a level of
exposure (I dare not call it "experience") could use some of the same
methods, but again, my focus is after you have already been hired. How to
keep the "old school" guys on track? How to take a Jr. DBA and turn him/her
into standard DBA, or even a Sr. DBA? People do this on their own, but the
career path has always seemed rather nebulous to me. Maybe that's just me.
Interesting how this little molehill has grown.... =) I definitely
appreciate the comments and perspectives.