DBA Needed in Austin

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:43:53 -0500

Pardon this intrusion into the normal, but never dull, technical stream.

The Austin Independent School District needs another Oracle DBA.  The
position is kind of an intermediate one, not junior/entry level, but not
real senior level, though we'd take Senior DBA, for sure!  AISD is, I
believe, in the top 40 largest school districts in the U.S., with about
80,000 students, 10,000 Teachers and Staff, in about 130 schools and
facilities.

The District relies on several 3rd Party COTS applications (Student Info.
System, Financials, Facilities Management, etc.) that all use Oracle
databases.  We have close to 30 DBs, most all are 9i, with a few 8i (our
Financials app), soon to be 9i as well.  No 10g yet, because our apps
aren't yet certified with it, though we'll start deploying 10g for some of
our "home grown" apps.  Almost all the 9i DBs are on RH2 or RH3 Linux,
with the 8i DBs on HP-UX, and a couple of small departmental DBs on Win2k.

We have excellent hardware (64bit Opteron servers using SAN disk) and
infrastructure (fiber LAN/WAN District-wide).  Our application portfolio
is growing, with several interesting new apps  recently added.  We have a
very competent Development staff that cranks out Web-based niche apps that
fill specific needs not met by the COTS apps.  This is an exciting place
to work.

So, follow the link below and check out the official posting if you're
interested.  Please contact me before you submit your resume, though, as I
can give you some tips on what our HR department wants to see.  AISD's
benefits are not spectacular, but they're OK.  One of the great things is
the 23 paid holidays per year, including two weeks for Christmas/New Years
and a week for Spring Break.  Plus, there's two weeks vacation, as well as
sick time and leave time that you can accumulate.  Of course there's no
travel, unless it's to training or a conference.

http://www.austinisd.org/inside/hr/viewjob.phtml?job_num=0012565

Come join Bill "Shrek" Thater and me in sunny Austin - "Li ve Music
Capital of the World"!

Oh yeah, AISD will not pay any relocation.  Nor will it pay any headhunter
fees.  Also, we're absolutely not interested in remote DBA services.  Our
environment is specialized enough to require full time, on site DBAs.

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

   The devil made me do it the first time,
   The second time I done it on my own.
      - Billy Joe Shaver, "Black Rose"