Re: DBA 3.0 - Holistic DBA - New post on my blog...

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 13:07:10 -0300

I think the word I loved most on your article was wambulance... I'll use it
more often :-)

I found your last post very interesting, I do like "black belt" dba better
than holistic dba ;-)

I think this isn't something you decide... it's not like you wake up one day
and say "ok, today i'm going to be a holistic DBA". The organization you
work for needs to be prepared for you to work that way and specially your
colleagues and bosses need to understand what you are doing. It is, however,
a matter of letting go of the ego and doing things to improve everything.

As I once (perhaps not very wisely) described my objectives on a grid
control implementation with my manager

"I want things to run in such a way so I can spend a whole day playing
FreeCell in the office and don't get a single alert, e-mail, page, call,
etc... and then I'll be bored and move on to another project" I think he
understood that playing free cell wasn't the point... but it kinda is... I
like to automate as much as possible, and I usually use EM to automate as it
is the most visible place to do so.

cheers
Alan.-