RE: DB12c in Production?

  • From: "Ruel, Chris" <Chris.Ruel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 15:57:13 +0000

I don’t think that today there is a physical/technical reason to have separate
owners.  In my experience, there are a few reasons I have seen this done.
Mostly commonly, it is for some sort of separation of duty.  For example, you
could have storage admins whom manage your ASM or SysAdmins that manage the
clusterware (less common).  However, if you do go down this path, you also have
to make sure that “oracle/RDBMS” and “grid/clusterware” are grouped accordingly
as well else both user can pretty much do the same things anyway.  I have also
seen it as an organizational tactic for your software such as naming your RDBMS
software owners like “oracle10g” or “oracle11g” but that is another topic
altogether.

Even if you do separate your users (as we do), you can still add the
$GRID_HOME/bin to your oracle user $PATH...just might make sure that
$ORACLE_HOME/bin (rdbms) comes before $GRID_HOME/bin for the RDBMS account.
This would allow you to find and run certain clusterware related binaries that
might make managing from two accounts easier.  There could some caveats to this
such as certain binaries may not work properly so use at your own discretion.

Chris..

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator
cruel@xxxxxxx<mailto:cruel@xxxxxxx> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482