Re: DB snap clone on non emc san, is it possible?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 17:48:30 -0400

Well, there are backup products like Commvault, which can use non-EMC array for cloning Oracle. As a matter of fact, the last array on which I have configured database cloning was Oracle ZFS Appliance, and it works well. For the ZFS appliance, we only support iSCSI and FC attached storage, no NFS. We can even do a heterogeneous cloning, between different arrays. There is a stipulation: we do not convert between platforms, the target platform must be the same as the source platform.
Regards

On 03/24/2017 05:47 PM, peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Raj

At the time I left Oracle - well, more when Oracle left me! :) - those two were documented because they had been tested and Oracle knew they worked. Others may work (I have no inside information confirming or denying that) but they had not been tested and were therefore unsupported. Of course, that's in exact opposition to Oracle's other statements around storage that so long as it works with the OS Oracle can work with it, so who knows where the truth really lies? :)

Pete