RE: DB Sizing

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:17:24 -0500

Ram,

The way that I've always done this is to ask the customer to get some "test"
data loaded into the database.  Gather stats on all of the tables once the
data has been loaded.  Ask the customer for a table-by-table list of how
many records will be added to each table per year.

You can then calculate estimates a couple of ways.  The simplest way is to
look at how much space each table is using and then calculate how much it
would use when fully populated.  Simple comparisons are pretty god.

For example:  If you test table currently has 10,000 records and it is using
1 Meg of space, then 100,000 records would use "about" 10Meg of space.
Don't forget to include the index usage in your calculations.  This is by
far the simplest method - and you should add some space to cover
mis-calculations.

A more thorough way is to look at the "space calculations" formulas in the
concepts manual.  It requires the same information to start as the above
method.  I like this method better because you can include in your report a
statement that says "This is how Oracle says to calculate space usage".  It
helps to stop people from second-guessing how you came up with a number.

Just remember to cover yourself when you deliver the "best guess" by saying
somewthing like "This is as good as I can come up with right now - but
things may change as the database grows".

Good Luck!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional