Re: DB Merge Ideas?

  • From: "Yong Huang" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "yong321@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "napacunningham@xxxxxxxxx" <napacunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:39:15 +0000 (UTC)

> We have 16 similar instances that we want to merge into a single
> instance.  I'm looking for input on the best method.  Below is all I could
> think of to help.
>
> Oracle 12.1.0.1 on Linux
> All instances exist on the same server....> Each is around 500GB (5.5TB
> total)....> I'm thinking of transportable tablespaces, but I'm looking for
> other
Michael,
You can consider multitenancy. But the cost may be a big concern.
There may be another option for you. Consider the downtime of export/import of
each of your 500GB databases. Can each of the application teams tolerate the
downtime? If they don't mind the weekend downtime, you can migrate one at a
time each over one weekend, with practically-speaking no downtime.

I have an article written before 12c came out. It discusses all issues our shop
can think of when many apps use one database (common practice here). Section V
talks about data migration using this approach.
http://yong321.freeshell.org/computer/ManagingSharedDatabaseEnvironment.docx
Yong Huang