RE: DATAFILE??

  • From: "Hallas, John, Tech Dev" <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bob_murching@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:22:33 +0100

  _____

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Murching, Bob
Sent: 19 October 2005 19:58

 Some of the best discussion I see here begins rather innocuously with a
newbie question that evolves into something much more interesting...
people read the original question and ask it again but with a different
spin.  Some of these innocent questions have led to the so-called
experts disagreeing with each other and making for some interesting
debate.  It would be a shame to see all that gone.  The best signal
sometimes comes with a little bit of noise.

Good point Bob. An innocuous little question sometime gets me stumped as
to the answer and gets me thinking, which is good.

What does irritate me, and I can think of one person in particular, is
those who post their latest task from their boss and expect a full
answer. When they don't get it immediately they repost. When they do get
some responses they collate them and then post what they will tell their
boss, just to be sure they have got it right. The list deserves a
consultancy fee on those occasions.

All in all, we have several options. To subscribe or not, to read every
post or not, to filter users or not, to answer mails or not. I
personally don't ask many questions and I post a few answers. I hope
that when I do ask a question I get decent help (and I am sure I will
do). I will have RTFM or done a metagoogle but it still might be an
inane question

John