RE: DATAFILE??

  • From: "Igor Neyman" <ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <richard.c.ji@xxxxxxxxx>, <bob_murching@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:14:31 -0400

No bashing from here.
Completely agree.

Igor

________________________________

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Ji
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:56 PM
To: bob_murching@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DATAFILE??

Alright, I will get bashed by saying this, but so what.  This list used
have a lot of experts and I mean very experts in the Oracle field.  I
am seeing a trend where the experts on this list is writing less and
less.
And maybe it's because they are all just too busy, but I think part of
it is because
this list has turn into a more newbie list and not everyone has Tom Kyte
patience answering newbie questions.  I remember there was a discussion
a while ago about creating a separate list for entry level questions and
the mid-level
to advanced discussions, but it got nowhere.

I am not sure how we can collectively balance out as you suggested.
Should we take turns ask one mid to advanced question for every newbie
question posted to keep this list interesting?

Richard

On 10/19/05, Murching, Bob <bob_murching@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        I don't mind occasional questions whose answers can be searched.
The vast majority of questions asked here could be answered by searching
the net, if not tahiti then one of the many sites that Google indexes.
Besides, when someone asks a question whose answer is reasonably well
known, usually two things very good things happen:

        1. Many subscribers learn something that we might not otherwise
have learned if the question had never been asked---irrespective of
whether or not the answer is in the Oracle manual!

        2. People with midrange skill sets get to exercise their ability
to communicate, answer questions, help others out.  If "RTFM and only
come here if the answer is not in the manual nor online" is the policy
of this list, then this list becomes the exclusive domain of questions
that only experts can answer.  I don't see that as anything to be
particularly proud of.  Dialogue and traffic on the mundane generally is
of greater benefit than being a witness to the esoteric.

        If it's really egregious then it needs to be put to a stop, and
that balance is something we collectively have to work out amongst
ourselves.  I don't think we should err to either extreme, however, and
in fact I think the current makeup of questions on this list is pretty
good.