Re: Curiosity: single-column index on sparse data cannot be built in parallel

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:04:04 -0500

Stefan,

There is a bug whereby _px_trace can cause parallel slaves to go off to
limbo land and consume enormous amounts of CPU without actually doing any
work, and not terminating either. I filed an SR on it last night, so
awaiting the official bug number.

Just a note to you and the general public to be careful with this tracing.
:) I suppose it is an underscore parameter for a reason, eh? :)

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 5:16 AM, Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Charles,
thank you very much for the PX traces. My assumption about some kind of
adaptive feature was right as you can see in the trace file ("adaptive=on").

-----------------8<---------------------------
2015-07-15 15:35:19.992634*:PX_Messaging:kxfp.c@9923:kxfpgsg(begin):
reqthreads=100 height=0 lsize=0 alloc_flg=0x230
2015-07-15 15:35:19.992634*:PX_Messaging:kxfp.c@9996:kxfpgsg():
reqthreads=100 KXFPLDBL/KXFPADPT/ load balancing=on adaptive=on
-----------------8<---------------------------

However your assumption about parallel_degree_limit=CPU and
parallel_degree_policy=MANUAL can not be true imo as parallel_degree_limit
is used for
AutoDOP. In addition in your first case you would limit it to 2
(PARALLEL_THREADS_PER_CPU x CPU_COUNT x number of instances available) in
any case.
This also fits to your study (parallel_degree_policy=AUTO +
parallel_degree_limit=100) in the second test case.

In your initial case (BANIMP_ora_25263.trc) i would count on
parallel_adaptive_multi_user. Can you test it by setting only parameter
parallel_adaptive_multi_user to FALSE? Unfortuantely the exact algorithm
is not known (or at least i never have found anything in great detail about
it).

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 16. Juli 2015 um 16:58
geschrieben:

I think I finally got to the bottom of this - running more tests to
confirm. It seems like, due to parallel_degree_limit=CPU,
parallel_degree_policy=MANUAL, and the default DOP being so low (2), the
kernel decided the CPU was too loaded to grant the requested DOP, so
instead calcuated that a DOP of 2 would be easier on the CPU.
Unfortunately, while this is indeed true, it kills performance.

It seems like using parallel_degree_policy=AUTO and
parallel_degree_limit=100 (or some other high number, maybe even "IO") will
avoid the kernel
freaking out because the CPU has a little load on it, and the added
advantage is that AUTO will defer until more slaves are available. Going to
bump
cpu_count=256 for another test, as well.

Hat tip to Anju Garg's blog Oracle In Action <
http://oracleinaction.com/tag/parallel_adaptive_multi_user/> (has several
posts on parallelism).
Thanks again to Jonathan Lewis and Stefan Koehler for helping me get
started on the science and diagnostics.

--
Charles Schultz

--