RE: Crystal Reports book(s)?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sol.beach@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:44:03 -0700

The only thing I've run into before with Oracle & Crystal is that
Crystal will (by default, I think) pull large amounts of data from
Oracle to the client, only to aggregate it on the client side, e.g. to
provide a report on sales totals by customer.  You can configure it to
do "server side grouping" instead and then it will pass the appropriate
GROUP BY clause to Oracle, allowing the RDBMS to do its job and only
return the much smaller amount of aggregated data to the client, so this
can greatly improve the performance in certain cases.  You should be
able to google "crystal server side grouping" and get some more detail.

Regards,

Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of sol beach

Much to my surprise & displeasure I have been directed to support
Crystal Reports which is installed on a Windoze box
& accesses an Oracle database which I support.