Re: Cross-platform (different endianness) Migration Experiences

  • From: Ilmar Kerm <ilmar.kerm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:15:12 +0300

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM, fmhabash <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just wanted to tap into this group resources for real-life experiences
> migrating large databases across OS platform and across different
> endianness. I'm looking for ...

Three 1tb databases on 10.2.0.4 from solaris sparc to solaris x86-64.
We used expdp/impdp with streams.

For data pump we used 15 parallel threads, export took about 2h and
import took about 15h to finish and after enabling streams it took
about 2 days to catch up (quite heavy OLTP database). The actual
switch from one database to another was completed in about 1 hour
maintenance window, that included also configuring Streams the other
way around for rollback scenario.

Streams is quite pain to set up, but once its running it works. So
reserve quite a lot of time for getting to know Streams and all the
necessary migration steps.
And need to monitor Streams latency closely after it has catched up
with the main database. For example we discovered a big nightly
transaction that deleted 12 million rows and that completely locked up
Streams apply for a few hours.

--
Ilmar Kerm