Re: Cross-Platform migration (10g)

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wellmetus@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:29:26 -0700

Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide
10g Release 2 (10.2)
Part Number B14191-03

This chapter discusses the use of RMAN in transporting tablespaces and entire databases between disparate platforms.This chapter contains the following sections:

* <http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/dbxptrn.htm#CHDFDAFH>Cross-Platform Tranportable Tablespace: CONVERT DATAFILE or TABLESPACE A description of how to use RMAN's CONVERT DATAFILE and CONVERT TABLESPACE commands when moving transportable tablespaces across platforms with different endian formats [ emphasis mine ]

At 03:04 PM 12/11/2009, Roger Xu wrote:
Thank you (Michael and Richard). Here is what the RMAN Advanced User's Guide says - "It also supports a transportable database feature, which can be used to recreate an entire database from one platform on another platform as long as the platforms have the same endian order."

I think my only other ption is what Michael mentioned: precreate a shell database then transport user tablespaces one by one from source to target.

Thanks,

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation