Re: Cross-Platform migration (10g)

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: michael.fontana@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:37:32 +0000

Hello all,

during the UKOUG's RAC Round Table Phil Davis from Oracle support mentioned the use of Golden Gate to capture changes while you are running the tablespace conversion. Might be an option if your downtime requirements are strict, but bear in mind it comes at extra cost. If I understood correctly, you have your RMAN conversion running (which can take significant amounts of time!) all the while Gold Gate captures activity on the source.

Another alternetive could be Oracle Streams, but I wouldn't consider it unless you had previous experience with it-it's not too easy to digest.

Hope that helps,

Martin
--
Martin Bach
OCM 10g

Michael Fontana wrote:
You'd want to look at the RMAN documentation, particularly the section that
deals with cross-platform migration:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/dbxptrn.htm#CHDFHBFI

There are advantages and pitfalls with using RMAN techniques.  The greatest
advantage is the Endian issue is addressed,
you have a viable recovery point, and you can move the database at the datafile level (with some prepartion). One of the main disadvantages is the source database must be down during the process.