Re: Cross platform migration from 10.2.0.4 to 11gR2

  • From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeff Thomas <dbmangler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:26:13 +0100

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Jeff Thomas <dbmangler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marcin -
>
> We are looking at around 750GB.     The window is not set in stone as yet -
> but generally speaking for a major implementation or change we'll get about
> 18 hours.

Hi,

In my opinion you should test three solutions:

- expdb / impdb - it can be a problem during import if you have a
number of indexes to create
 - advantage - free
 - disadvantage - timing can be a issue

- Golden Gate
 - advantage - you can setup a live replication between old and new box
 - disadvantage - license cost

- create a new database and use Transportable tablespaces to move
tablespaces with your data - keep in mind Ian issues

regards,
--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com