Re: Creating a database from rman backup

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kat.axe@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:16:56 -0300

caution: duplicate requires connection between the two servers.

Another option is (i'm guessing the backup is to disk):

* copy the rman backup sets
* start the new instance in NOMOUNT;
* restore controlfile from 'backupset_name'
* set newname for datafile # to '<new_path>';
* restore and recover database using backup controlfile
* create redo log files
* create tempfiles
* open database using retelogs;

if you need to set a new name, use the nid tool to rename it after the
resetlogs operation.

hth
Alan.-

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Guillermo Alan Bort
<cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> you can also use the 'set newname for datafile 1 to '<new_path>';
>
> This is a fun excercise, I'd suggest you try it a few times before doing it
> in production, though.
>

> pointers: current DB: target,
>               new db (must be STARTED): auxiliary
>
> commando: duplicate database to auxiliary;
>
> hth
> Alan.-
>

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM, kathryn axelrod <kat.axe@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Use RMAN's 'duplicate'.
>> Since the directory paths are different, you will either use 'set newname'
>> or 'db_file_name_convert' & 'log_file_name_convert'
>>

>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdupdb.htm#BGBHBIFE
>>

>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM, KRISHNA MOORTHY <
>> krish33moorthy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> How can I create a database from the RMAN backup
>>>
>>> 1. I have a RMAN complete database backup (includes control file,
>>> datafiles, archived log file )at server A
>>> 2. I have to create a NEW database using the backup at server B
>>> 3. Server A and B does not have connection.