Re: Creating a controlfile - language needed?

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:02:16 -0500

There are several alternatives for moving databases. The method chosen
will depend on several factors:
   - Amount of downtime allowed.
   - Size of the database.
   - Whether the two servers are compatible.
   - Level of DBA experience. Stick to your comfort zone.
   - Don't forget to perform the chosen method in test first.
In my opinion, the simplest method is to create a controlfile to
trace, edit it, etc. This is good if you are inexperienced at these
methods and there is plenty of downtime available. There are several
documents on the web that describe this process, for example:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/db_move.html.

Dennis Williams