Re: Creating DB on partition > 2TB

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:06:26 -0700

I have to agree with Greg here.  There are other things to consider beyond
(just) IO performance, too.

There is also the question of recover time should come up here as well.  In
building a single LUN (or filesystem, or...) of 3TB, this becomes the amount
of data you will -- or at least may -- have to recover in the even of a
serious failure.

Before you say "I have RAID protection at the hardware level", let me ask
this:  Have you even seen somebody reformat the wrong disk, or do *rm
-rf*in the wrong filesystem?  I know
*I* have!  (Seen it, that is.  I've never actually *done* that.  Oh, no, no,
no...)  :-)

Even in cases where you do have hardware RAID support (and you actually *
believe* the B.S. that the salesrep pushed about *his* RAID product being
infallible) there are still plenty of failure modes that can result in the
need to restore data to an entire LUN or filesystem.

Compartmentalizing your data may not *prevent* such accidents, but it can at
least *help* to restrict the scope of the damage, and perhaps put you in a
position where you only need to restore 100GB of data from tape, instead of
the while 3TB.

(Yeah, yeah, I know: you don't plan to use the *whole* 3 TB.  Yet!)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead