Re: Create controlfile for standby database

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:48:54 +0200

Sami,

Again, I have no experience with DG/RAC, maybe that requires a shutdown,
althuogh I don't see why, as far as I understand the concepts of RAC.

This said, I use vanilla 'alter tablespace begin backup' and '... end
backup' commands in my scripts, and create a hot backup by scp-ing the
datafiles to the standby site. After the backup I create the standby
controlfile. All without shutting down the database.

DG is about high availability. There are situations when you have to
re-instantiate a standby, e.g. after a failover, or a HW-error causing
loss of datafiles on the standby. Needing to shutdown the primary to
create the standby is unacceptable, because it interrupts your service.
You are setting up data guard to prevent interruptions, not to cause
them. Therefore, avoid the cold backup, and instantiate with a hot
backup, either through vanilla scp-copy or RMAN.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===