Re: Counterquestion - is Oracle a He or a She - or an It or a hermaphrodite

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:42:29 +1000

Billy Verreynne (JW) apparently said,on my timestamp of 1/08/2005 9:19 PM:

Who introduced zero terminated strings? The dimwits who designed the C
language, not? :-)

Can't remember, but is it the same in Java and/or php?

*That* is the problem. Pascal has a much better and cleaner solution
as it stores the actual string size in the zero char position (though
the physical implementation has changed slightly with 2GB string
support).

Kinda like the Oracle VARCHAR in Pro*, ain't it?

Anyway, this means that in Pascal/Delphi a string can happily contain
#0's. Which again proves that Delphi rules and C/C++ is simply uncool.

You got a darn good point there... I always forget about Delphi, yet it's an excellent product!

PS. Did you watch the Tri-Nation's opening game? Lots of relief here
that we managed to beat the Wallabies. :-)

Narh. I've been glued to Montreal and the swimming championship. When Grant or Ian go swimming, all else takes second place chez-Souto. :) -- Cheers Nuno Souto in sunny Sydney, Australia dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx -- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l