Re: Copy-on-write file systems

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 17:44:03 -0400

Hi Nenad,
I am consultant and I don't have a database that I could call my own, but I do have several customers using the latest versions of ODA and Exadata, which put the database files on ACFS. I heard no complaints about the database performance so far. Having said that, I also have customers using ZFS on SUN Solaris machines and no complaints about performance, either. Both ZFS and ACFS are the second generation of "copy on write" file systems, which use so called "deferred write" algorithm, as opposed to the classical copy on write which would triple the number of IO's, for every snapshot. Exadata and SUN boxes are not classical microcomputers with everything on a single bus, so they are much more efficient at performing IO than your typical Dell box. My impression is that ACFS performs better than ZFS on Linux microcomputers and virtual machines but I have no exact numbers to prove that. That's my 2 cents.
Regards

On 09/03/2017 06:16 AM, Noveljic Nenad wrote:

Hi,

Is anybody running databases on ACFS or some other copy-on-write file system?

I'd be greatful if you could share your experiences. I'm looking for alternatives to ZFS, which has had fulfilled most of our requirements so far.

Many thanks in advance,

Nenad

Gesendet über BlackBerry Work
(www.blackberry.com)

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses E-Mail drucken.

Important Notice

This message is intended only for the individual named. It may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the named addressee you should in particular not disseminate, distribute, modify or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, if you have received this message by mistake and delete it from your system.

E-mail transmission may not be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. Also processing of incoming e-mails cannot be guaranteed. All liability of the Vontobel Group and its affiliates for any damages resulting from e-mail use is excluded. You are advised that urgent and time sensitive messages should not be sent by e-mail and if verification is required please request a printed version.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA