RE: Copying ORACLE_HOME?

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:05:54 -0400

Matt,

Cloning ORACLE_HOME can work but Oracle Support claim is valid.

Had the same/similar conversation on this list when someone had the idea of
putting Oracle...the whole OFA (ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE, oradata, etc) on a CD
can carting it around to different servers for an "instant" database.

You have to be certain the servers are 100% identical and unless you build them
at the same time chances are they are not.

He is my response to that previous thread; Clone Oracle binaries;

---"Not a big deal"
Just days ago I tared up my 9i Oracle Home that contained Software and Database
/o01/app/... & /o01/oradata.
I simply un-tar'd it to a like ("DEV") server and done!...I have may database
and software again.

---"serious pitfalls"
Before I *simply* un-tared my Oracle Home Clone and started using it I spent an
hour or more making sure that my *like* server had all the OS patches required
for my version of Oracle.
So this is not simple at all.
More and more Oracle is requiring OS patches and OS changes BEFORE Oracle will
install or run on that OS.
You have a 100% chance that a new clean OS install will be missing patches
needed for your Mobile Oracle Clone.
What about rootpre.sh...that's just one that applies to all...the list of other
prerequisites goes on and on.

Also, rootpre.sh and root.sh often add and modify OS scripts and parameters not
in Oracle directories.
This could make a huge different on how you database runs.

So while pain and maybe not the true the Oracle Support claim is valid...they
have no way of knowing the this is a valid install *and* OS configuration.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA