RE: Copy Files From ASM to Traditional Storage

  • From: Ian Cary <ian.cary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:59:12 +0100

What about making the tablespace read only and then using
DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER.COPY_FILE ?

Cheers,

Ian

|         |           Mark.Bobak@proques|
|         |           t.com             |
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           oracle-l-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org       |
|         |           20/09/2010 19:57  |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           Mark.Bobak        |

  |       To:       post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx, kamusis@xxxxxxxxx
                                                                     |
  |       cc:       pjhoraclel@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  RE: Copy Files From ASM to Traditional Storage

Ethan,

If you need to move an existing datafile from ASM to fs, or the reverse, I
don’t see how that would be possible without, at a minimum, taking the
datafile offline.  Even if ASM were not in the picture, and you were moving
a file from one fs to another, or moving the contents of a raw device to a
file or a another raw device, you’d need to offline the datafile.  You
can’t move a moving target.  If we’re talking about moving a datafile at
the Oracle and O/S level, Oracle can’t be writing to it while you’re trying
to move the contents to another location.

-Mark