Copy Files From ASM to Traditional Storage

  • From: Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:40:25 -0500

I want to copy my files from ASM storage (a rac instance) to standard file
system and build a normal copy of the database. 11g r2. I tried the asmcmd
"cp" command. After recovery and finding I need to set some undocumented
parameter...fixing the UNDO tablespace name and a few other mistakes I tried
to do recovery again and got this error.

SQL>  recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
ORA-16433: The database must be opened in read/write mode.

Some searching gives me the idea that "cp" won't work to backup an ASM
database (the database was in backup mode when I copied the files).

My next guess is to try the RMAN CONVERT DATAFILE command to do this. Anyone
have experience with either this or the "cp" command? What is working for
you?

Thanks